REFEREE UPDATENON CERTIFIED REFEREES - If you have not certified after several tryouts, perhaps is because you are not serious in becoming a referee. The SYS Referee Development Program now allow a one season tryout per participant. Please click on Referee Training on the left side of this website to learn how to become certified.
Want to be a referee? Please contact Jose Lopez to find out more information.
Please visit the Massachusetts State Referee Committee page for more information on what courses you must take.
CHOOSE THE COURSE THAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU
Determining which referee course to enroll in can be confusing. Here are some points to consider before you enroll to help you choose the right course for you.
Take the Grade 9 course if:
- You are at least 12 years old but not yet 16 years old.
- You wish to referee small sided games only (typically 6-8 players per team on the field).
- You want to referee small recreational games only. That means that the players did not go through a formal tryout process for the team and the games take place between teams that come from the same town.
- You want to referee only players who are under the age of 14
Take the Grade 8 course if:
- You are at least 16 years old. Note that you may be asked to referee in other towns, so make sure that transportation is not going to be a problem for you.
- You wish to referee full-sided (11 players a side) soccer
- You want to referee competitive players. That means that you want to referee the higher skilled players, those that have been selected to play for their town, and who will play in games against other towns.
Take the Grade 8 Bridge course if:
- You have been a Grade 9 Referee for at least 1 year and your age plus your years of experience adds to exactly 16 or more.
- You now want to referee more competitive games
- You have been a high school referee
- You have been a Grade 8 referee in the past five years, but let your registration lapse. (Contact the SRA to check your status).